Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Wake Up and Smell the Coffee!

For most of his life, our son was an early riser. 6:00 am was his usual wake call for a long time. During those toddler, preschool and early elementary school years, our son would happily wake up between 6:00 - 6:30 am. He was ready and willing to start the day with spring in his step, it was so stinking cute (but exhausting)!

As he grew older, our son wanted to wake up later. When adolescence began for him, sleeping in later became more enjoyable and needed. Getting out of bed early in the morning became our weekday struggle..."Just five more minutes, Mom!"....ugh!

Needless to say, being able to sleep later has been a huge perk of homeschooling. You know what?  My kid and I?? Not so much morning people!! The fact that we don't have to wake up as early to get to school is outstanding. The fact that we can do our schoolwork in our pajamas and get dressed whenever we need to go out is simply blissful (I never thought that I would ever use those words to describe our mornings)! I'm sure once we get into a regular co-op routine this fall, we'll have some earlier mornings. However, for now, our mornings are heavenly.

Today was a blast from the past. Our son had a follow-up appointment this morning. I scheduled it early, around the time when he used to go to school, so that he and I could still have most of the day to homeschool. In theory, this was a good idea. However, after homeschooling about two months and being used to our new, homeschool schedule, I was wrong. Wake up and smell the coffee!  We both didn't miss the morning rush to get somewhere in a hurry. We didn't miss the scramble of getting out of bed early, hurrying up to finish extra homework from the night before, scarfing down breakfast and rushing to school (only to hurry up and wait in the long, drop-off line). Blah. Today was a very good reminder that the old routine is history. From now on, I'll remember to make those appointments later in the afternoon, when we're done with homeschooling. We like our sleep too much! Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go and turn off my alarm clock.

No comments:

Post a Comment