Friday, April 11, 2014

Homeschool field trips make me SMILE!

FDR slept here (Did you know FDR was homeschooled until he was 14 years old?)

A view of the Hudson River Valley from the 2nd Floor of the FDR Home

FDR's Study (and a few of his thousands of books)

Eleanor Roosevelt's typewriter (what an inspiration for a newbie blogger!)

FDR's Desk from the Oval Office
 
"The only limit to our realization of tomorrow will be our doubts of today. Let us move forward with strong and active faith." -Franklin D. Roosevelt
 
Yesterday, we took our first "official field trip" as homeschoolers. We went with our homeschool friends to the Franklin D. Roosevelt Home, Presidential Library / Museum in Hyde Park, NY. If you're ever in the Hudson Valley, you MUST take your family to visit this wonderful and historic place....and all kids under 15 are free with a paying adult!
 
 In the past, the words field trip made me feel a combination of terror and dread. I was one of those "regular school" parents who went on many field trips, especially having an only child and working part-time. From Kindergarten through 3rd grade of our son's schooling, I was wrangled into at least one or two field trips each year. Of course, the groups I supervised seemed to be the rowdiest, wildest boys of the class (my son included)! There seemed to be very little learning on these field trips, just disciplining the kids and trying to make sure no one became lost or hurt. To top it off, I was the adult who often got stuck riding the bus with the kids...ugh! Migraines, a hoarse voice and sore legs always seemed to accompany past field trips.
 
Yesterday's field trip was nothing like our past trips! Our day was filled with hands-on learning, enjoying the beautiful spring weather and having great time with our friends. Our kids were well-behaved and my friend and I were able to enjoy the day along with them. Even though they were the only kids on the guided tour, they proved themselves to be eager students. The kids were interested in learning about FDR, his legacy and the world during his presidential terms in office. I don't think the other adults minded one bit that four, well-behaved kids joined them during the tour. In fact, I think that the kids added a nice element of energy and enthusiasm to an otherwise quiet group of adults. They reminded me that learning can be fun and if you're interested enough in a subject,...the time flies! We blinked and the next thing you knew, we had been there over four hours! My son even proclaimed- "Mom, I didn't realize it until today, but I really love history!".
 
You know what I didn't realize? I actually love field trips!
 
 
 
 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment