Tuesday, March 11, 2014

The drive that became a gift for me.

This is a random picture my son took during our drive today....after our conversation.
 
Today, my son and I went for a drive at lunchtime (one of the fabulous perks of homeschooling!). We were heading to my uncle's uniform store for those who work in law enforcement, rescue / emergency personnel, etc. My uncle (who is a retired police officer) and my aunt have been running this wonderful business, and service to our community, for more than 15 years.  My son hopes to volunteer there, once a week, and learn about running a business. He is also fascinated with law enforcement and emergency personnel , so he also hopes to learn more about those important and heroic professions.  This is one of the many, many things that I'm learning about homeschooling....you can take your child's interests and create meaningful volunteer activities or hands-on projects.

Anyways, I know he is excited during this drive and we keep the conversation light on our way there. You know, things like "Look at the melting snow." or "It's so warm today."- the usual chatting and conversation for about 10 minutes.

Then, there is a lull in the conversation. I don't say anything since I catch him looking out of the window, like he is about to say something serious. So, I let it be quiet for about a minute.

"Mom. Thank you so much for homeschooling me.', he tells me. Whoa...I try not to swerve off the road or start hysterically crying tears of joy. This is huge from an 11 year old boy. Tears are filling my eyes, even now as I type this post.

Totally spontaneous and totally unplanned. Yet, that "thank you" was the best one I've ever received in my life. Especially because I still have the occasional fear about our decision to homeschool. Is he OK?  Is he happy? Are we doing the right thing?

"I am so happy to be homeschooling you, buddy." I tell him, "You're telling me that is the best gift I could ever get." I say, fighting back my tears.

"Mom You're homeschooling me is the best gift I know I could ever get." he says.

"Thank You, God!" I prayed silently as I drove, "Thank You for answering any lingering doubts that I ever had about homeschooling."

And that's how our drive became my gift...

2 comments:

  1. :) Love those moments. You go, o brave one!!! We're cheering you on from here.

    And I loved your decompression post... when you find some time, perhaps read some Montessori work.The multi-sensory stuff might resonate.

    ~ S

    ReplyDelete