Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Long time, no blog!

Happy Summer!  I apologize to the handful of folks who actually read my blog...its been a hectic summer!  We're busy with new adventures, big plans and a lot of good things in store. And my fractured foot last month (blah)!

Here's what we've been up to-
  • I fractured my foot at the beginning of June. How did I do this? Rock climbing? Training for a mud run? Nope! I was walking down our stairs and missed a step! D'oh! I had to hobble around town in a big, stinky orthopedic boot for four weeks! On July 3rd, I was given the all-clear and now the boot is stinking up our laundry room.
  • During that time,  we took an extended break from schooling. Our son made a bet with me that I couldn't go one day without talking about anything related to homeschool. I lost at the end of that first day. Did he really think I wouldn't tell him about the email I received announcing the huge sale on frog dissection kits?
  • We resumed homeschooling at the beginning of this month and began our "year round homeschool schedule" (cue dark, foreboding music).  Its actually going quite well and the transition has been a good one. Our homeschool motto "Learning never stops!" is received with less eye-rolling when I remind our son of the following equation. One hot, boring day + a few hours of homeschool = EXTENDED FALL OR WINTER VACATION (and a couple of extra days off every month). Woo-hoo!
  • That being said, I'm letting our son take the lead in what he wants to learn this summer. We're still covering the basics: reading, writing and arithmetic. However, we're letting him study his interests a little more in depth. Things like earth and life science, famous war battles, outdoor survival skills, computer technology....and how to plan a future career as a Minecraft Designer...or Minecraft Player...or The Next Stampylonghead.
  • We're spending some awesome quality time with homeschool friends and new friends from church. We've learned there is a HUGE difference between "quantity socialization time" versus "quality friend time". I'm just sayin'!
  • I'm getting ready for our son and my husband's birthday on July 27th. Yup...they have the same birthday! I tend to go a little batty this time of year in planning their big day!

Finally.....drum roll, please! Brrrruummmm.....................

We are thrilled to announce that we are beginning the homestudy process to adopt our second child! After consideration, family discussion and prayer, we agree that we are so blessed to be able to start another adoption journey! We're starting our homestudy classes and training (yes, lots of homework for this mom and dad) in September.  We hope to be done with our homestudy in mid-November.  We hope to adopt a little girl sometime next year.

Blessed beyond measure!!!

"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened." - Matthew 7:7-8

Enjoy the rest of your summer, everyone!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment